Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What The Internet Wants You To See

           It can be common to say that the Internet displays what we want to see. It can be even  possible that sometimes we even see what we want to see.......and its because we are. Websites like Facebook and even Google display things similar to our recent searches or interests on Facebook. For example if on Facebook you have it down that you are a republican, if you google "war in Iraq "you might a more left wing answer than a democratic answer.
          I believe that this is almost wrong. I feel as if we are being spyed on in a way. Just because I googled nike sneakers one day, doesnt mean I should have advertisments for nike on my yahoo or twitter page. I think this tactics should stop. Unfortunatley this is the world we now live in.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your assessment that it the "filter bubble" issue is a troublesome one. It allows for disagreements to only get furthered and never allow for one side to actually see the other opinion. It only strengthens people's personal biases. To only have your own ideas supplemented by similar ideas allows for the American public to be narrow-minded, remain stubborn, and uninformed. This doesn't even get to the idea that they are invading our privacy and filtering what they allow us to see. To think that they know everything about us, including where we are, is a scary thought. To think that what we research and formulate our opinions based off of are just selected materials that they choose for us to read, is scary as well. the tactics should stop and hopefully will, but as you said, it seems to be the unfortunate reality of the technology-driven world we live in today

    ReplyDelete